Forum Cloud
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Atheism - The Problem

+6
Zuriki
St jimmy
Nano
Mortis Drakul Noctem
Lord Khriid
madis
10 posters

Go down

Atheism - The Problem Empty Atheism - The Problem

Post by Admin Cloud Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:00 am

Atheism officially is not a religion. I think this is a problem. Many people think that a religion is something that you believe in and have faith, therefore it exists, whereas Atheism is the belief of nothing therefore it does not exist.
However, I view Atheism as a faith. You "believe" that god does not exists, and you place "faith" in scientists to prove that god does not exist.
The problem is that Atheists get a hard time getting their point across. An Atheist counts as a single person and official religions count as a majority of people. Therefore Atheists have a problem getting a point across, because our faith does not manifest itself as a real thing, and get crushed by the amount of people who believe in said religion.

So, when a person actually turns Atheism into a real religion, all hell breaks lose between the warmongering (Catholics in this instance). http://www.venganza.org/category/hate-mail/

With that out of the way, I noticed that anyone who joins this religion will burn in hell, get eaten by foaming monkeys and be forced to hear prince music... Etc
But that said, if you don't join Christianity BUT your a good person, you will have to spend a few odd centuries waiting to get into heaven to "Filter out your evil". Is it just me or is that a tad bit cruel?
At least Universalism sounds like God is a generally nice guy, and not this plagues, smite and death the Christians rave on about.

You will be surprised to know that I was born into a Christan family, brought up in a Christan School and was a avid follower of the belief. Only about 5 years ago had I joined the intelligent Atheists.

I would like to explain that with the points listed above, I respect most religions. What they do is very helpful and is very worthy of a noble good person. Many religions have the heart in the right place, but I feel that the blind faith many of the followers place into it is just too annoying.
Admin Cloud
Admin Cloud
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 406
Cash : 0 Cash
Registration date : 2007-10-16

Character sheet
Gold Coins: 100
Skill: Spam cleaner
Weapon: Ban hammer

https://forumcloud.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Atheism - The Problem Empty Re: Atheism - The Problem

Post by Mezmer-Eye Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:40 pm

Admin Cloud wrote:
So, when a person actually turns Atheism into a real religion, all hell breaks lose between the warmongering (Catholics in this instance).
that is offensive to me, im a very catholic person but i dont beleive all of the smitey stuff and im not a warmonger! Don't generalize religions there are a few base ideas but most of the rest is dependent on the person.
Mezmer-Eye
Mezmer-Eye
Post Cloud
Post Cloud

Male
Number of posts : 947
Location : http://albion.sos-forum.net/index.htm The Peaceful Town of Spira
Registration date : 2007-11-07

Character sheet
Gold Coins: 360
Skill: Uber Poster
Weapon: Post gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Cloud Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:03 am

OMGSPOREOMG wrote:
Admin Cloud wrote:
So, when a person actually turns Atheism into a real religion, all hell breaks lose between the warmongering (Catholics in this instance).
that is offensive to me, im a very catholic person but i dont beleive all of the smitey stuff and im not a warmonger! Don't generalize religions there are a few base ideas but most of the rest is dependent on the person.

I agree, but I feel that my generalization is quite apt in this case. When a faction or “religion” attacks another, it is no longer one person anymore who defends themselves. The defender makes it his job to represent the entire population of followers.

However, if you don't have this attitude then I congratulate you. You have joined the religion as a individual rather than a majority.

But I would like to know what you think of the comments in the source. It seems strangely split how followers of a religion (or your religion) can suddenly think they can represent.
Admin Cloud
Admin Cloud
Admin
Admin

Female

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by staticwolf Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:35 am

I'm Atheist. Let me explain to you what an Atheist is:
Someone who CANNOT believe in God. After considering all scientific facts, logic and other various things, you just cannot see how god exists. I have TRIED to believe in a god, I just CAN'T!!!
So, Atheism is not believing there is no god. It's being unable to believe there is a god.

staticwolf
Cumulonimbus Cloud
Cumulonimbus Cloud

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2007-11-10

Character sheet
Gold Coins: 42
Skill: Flamer
Weapon: Flamethrower

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Cloud Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:48 pm

Atheism - The Problem Oh_rly

Wikipedia:

Atheism, as a philosophical view, is the position that either affirms the nonexistence of gods or rejects theism. When defined more broadly, atheism is the absence of belief in deities, alternatively called nontheism. Although atheism is often equated with irreligion, some religious philosophies, such as secular theology and some varieties of Theravada Buddhism, also lack belief in a personal god.
Admin Cloud
Admin Cloud
Admin
Admin

Female

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mezmer-Eye Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:23 pm

Religions actually have common splits because of different morals, like you can believe in Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit but that can put you in a multitude of religions like catholic or Anglican. Actually a lot of Anglicans are looking for a split or to join the catholic church because of homosexual priests or whatever in there. Also I'm not one of those people who go YOUR RELIGION IS WRONG, YOUR WRONG MY RELIGION IS BETTER, I know you probably have good reasons for your choice and your happy with it. Like I'm not a missionary or anything... Your choices are your own, and if they aren't adversely affecting other people, who cares!
Actually when I first saw the topic I thought it was bashing aethism (I'm not sure how to spell that) and I was like wtf Mad I thought this forum was better than that!
Mezmer-Eye
Mezmer-Eye
Post Cloud
Post Cloud

Male

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by staticwolf Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:30 am

Lol, Admins you mingebag.
That wiki entry said exactly what I said.
I quote from the quote:
"the position that either affirms the nonexistence of gods or rejects theism. When defined more broadly, atheism is the absence of belief in deities"
Pay close attention to the bold words.
Afrirms = A factual piece of information makes something affirmed/confirmed.
Rejects = Does not accept the idea.
Absence = Is not there. This bit leads on to say "in Deities", meaning you just don't have the required "parts" to believe in these deities.

PWNT ADMIN, GIMME ALL UR CASH KTHXBAI

staticwolf
Cumulonimbus Cloud
Cumulonimbus Cloud

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by madis Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:18 am

What am i? I dont say there is a god but i also dont say there isnt a god?
madis
madis
Cumulonimbus Cloud
Cumulonimbus Cloud

Male
Number of posts : 339
Cash : 54 Cash
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Character sheet
Gold Coins: 54
Skill: Chatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mezmer-Eye Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:20 pm

You are... Uhhhh I don't know off the top of my head actually... Do you just not know what you believe because I don't know how you can not believe in God but also not believe there isn't a God. I would say confused but you seem like you've made up your mind.
Mezmer-Eye
Mezmer-Eye
Post Cloud
Post Cloud

Male

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Khriid Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:11 pm

i wouldnt count myself as an athiest as i kind of think somethings out there bt i kind of think, why join these religions if you ont beleive in them fullly.

also i cam from a primary school which was mant to be anti racist and all that but they didnt alow other religions to practice there religions in the school so that put me of cathlics and protestants

now is the time to reveil my favorate religion...... anti-semetic jews (thanks to southpark)go the self haters
Lord Khriid
Lord Khriid
Post Cloud
Post Cloud

Male
Number of posts : 579

Character sheet
Gold Coins: 30
Weapon: Spam Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortis Drakul Noctem Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:27 pm

madis wrote:What am i? I dont say there is a god but i also dont say there isnt a god?

Agnostic.
I for one would rather see all religions destroyed, I consider them to be nothing more but pointless rituals and senseless moral rules imposed by a mere human pretending to speak for such a romantic idealism as that of a god! It just stands in the way of politics, science and individual spiritualism..baptisms, funerals, Bar mitzvahs, etc. All pointless rituals brought forth with no true purpose rather then condemning several mass of individuals to rules and future rituals that serve only to fulfill the self-completion of the person behind the religion itself (either the spiritual leader or none at all!). In other words, I don't believe in wasting my time in rituals and dances that serve none of my purposes in order to serve someone else, unless I get something out of it (and adverting me that I would be going to a imaginary place like "Heaven","Valhalla","Hell",etc. isn't good enough!). I trust that religion was useful in society's most primitive forms (as a minor substitute for Science, Individual Spiritualism and Government) but for society to truly grow we must get rid of these myths and dogmatic rules of the past! And concentrate on advancing each one of the 3 areas, now independent from Religion, each in their own path (eg: Like Psychology became independent of Classic Philosophy and evolved into its own independent form). I suggest you all to read the following books in order to further understand the primitive origins, the problems and even the benefits of religious creed:

The "History of Ideologies" collection
"Mythologies" by Roland Barthes
André Richel's "Contribution to the study of Human Development" (Although it may seem pointless to religion you could use it to compare our necessities to the appearances of myths and religions)
"Eros and Religion" by Walter Schubart
"The sacred and the unholy: The essence of religions" by Mircea Eliade
Claude Lévi-Strauss' "Myth and Meaning"
Anything by Nietzsche

Attention: Some titles may have been miss-translated but the authors' names should help you find them at your local book store or library

And then, of course, with correct interpretation, you should read and gather information about as many religions and theories as you can, why not interpret the Bible viewing it's stories as metaphors? Or maybe the Coran? Or study up on ancient religions and pagan rituals in order to compare them to modern religions and practices?

Happy Reading! Very Happy
Mortis Drakul Noctem
Mortis Drakul Noctem

Male
Number of posts : 227
Cash : 63 Cash

Character sheet
Gold Coins: 63
Skill: Noob killer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mezmer-Eye Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:26 pm

That was... Horrible
"I for one would rather see all religions destroyed, I consider them to be nothing more but pointless rituals and senseless moral rules imposed by a mere human pretending to speak for such a romantic idealism as that of a god!" That is just smashing everyone with a faith! More than 80% of the world believes in some sort of higher being last time I checked! Seriously I don't care if your an Atheist but once you start smashing religions that crosses the line! I am an excepting person, i have 3 Satanist friends even and I'm a Catholic. Even if you don't believe in God the morals most religions teach are essential to society running well. "All pointless rituals brought forth with no true purpose rather then condemning several mass of individuals to rules and future rituals that serve only to fulfill the self-completion of the person behind the religion itself" FUCK YOU that is totally retarded, most religions I know of don't benefit the leader, they raise charities and try to help the needy! At least my religion does, I'm quite sure this could do without your "interesting" point of view if you can't voice it in a manner that doesn't offend people and totally generalize something this diverse. You obviously don't know what the fucking hell your talking about so how bout you stick to what you don't cause people to go on huge rants about. Most Catholics don't take the stories of the bible for face value. They are stories for morals! I asked the a Priest about the whole Adam and Eve thing and guess what he said? He said that it was just a story for morals and not actually proclaimed as fact by the bible. Don't you dare use your Moderating powers to change this. That would definetly warrant a review of your privledges by the Admin. btw I'm keeping an independant copy of this on the face book group where you have no control so don't even try it.
Mezmer-Eye
Mezmer-Eye
Post Cloud
Post Cloud

Male

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Nano Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:40 am

I personally don't beleive in a god but do not penalise those that do either... I think we can all beleive what we like and you should not bash religions because we don't agree with them... Religions should be commended for their generousity and help of the homeless, poor ect because it is truly honourable and is doing more than the rest of us who don't...

Well Done Charity People... cheers

PS...(isn't Satanism Illegal?)...
Nano
Nano

Male
Number of posts : 206
Cash : 1 Cash
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Character sheet
Gold Coins: 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Firefly Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:47 am

I believe in God and I'm a christian

I don't think satanism is illegal cuz i saw a bunch of shows on TV about the leader of it, and ive heard of satanic shurches before

~ king
Firefly
Firefly
Cumulonimbus Cloud
Cumulonimbus Cloud

Male
Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Character sheet
Gold Coins: 19

Back to top Go down

Post by St jimmy Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:47 pm

I have a feeling this thread is going to turn into a flame war Twisted Evil
St jimmy
St jimmy
Cumulonimbus Cloud
Cumulonimbus Cloud

Male
Number of posts : 227

Character sheet
Gold Coins: 89

Back to top Go down

Post by Zuriki Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:59 pm

I am a Atheist. I do not believe in God, I actually believe that god was created by humans to make them feel that they are not alone in the universe OR that there is something more than just life. I also believe that some religions, probably most, ahave some evil traits. The simple fact I say this is, Muslim terrorists are extrreamists of their religion (some of them) and that christians are homophobics yet they say that you must love all this that god created so they are hipocritical too. Thees are only a few examples. I think the only religion I haven't seen do anything bad is Satanism, I wonder why?

Anyway don't be offended by this anyone, this is mearly an opinion and nothing to get all upset about.

To whats his name that was flaming at mortis, don't bother flaming at me over this as I do not deem that you as an individual or as the entire Catholic religion to be all evil people, in-fact I only said that have evil traits. I am sure that they do charity work, but you must remember that it is the individual that is giving the money to the charity, not the religion, they have just provided the service. Keep that in mind.
Zuriki
Zuriki
Cumulonimbus Cloud
Cumulonimbus Cloud

Male
Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2007-11-08

Character sheet
Gold Coins: 51
Skill: Chatter
Weapon: Reply button

http://zuriki.dragonfireking.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Firefly Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:28 pm

~ king

Last edited by on Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Firefly
Firefly
Cumulonimbus Cloud
Cumulonimbus Cloud

Male
Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2007-11-12

Character sheet
Gold Coins: 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Mezmer-Eye Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:13 pm

Ya I kind of spazzed but the whole thing we were going on about was accepting other religions and he comes in here saying that they are a stupid waste of time and "only to fulfill the self-completion of the person behind the religion itself". By love all that God created, it means to love it like a friend or a parent not like a lover... I don't hear of the Pope humping shrubbery! Some are homophobes but its hard to generalize religions because they split so often and its the people behind it not the rules made by somebody that makes it what it is. Also I don't think I have heard much about Satanism either... Like you hear about all the evil rituals, drugs or whatever but how much of that hype can you believe? Really before you start saying anything about other religions you should know what the religion is like first. By the way, just something a little funny back in like grade 3 after 9/11 a few of the kids asked the teacher why the people did that and the teacher was like "its because their mommys and daddys didn't love them". I'm pretty sure it was more of an ideal/moral conflict with western society not enmity with their parents... I'm not into the whole flaming thing but he basicly flamed religion in general. And the moral of this story is don't say anything if you don't have anything nice to say! lol
Mezmer-Eye
Mezmer-Eye
Post Cloud
Post Cloud

Male

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by staticwolf Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:45 am

Mortis Drakul Noctem wrote:
madis wrote:What am i? I dont say there is a god but i also dont say there isnt a god?

Agnostic.
I for one would rather see all religions destroyed, I consider them to be nothing more but pointless rituals and senseless moral rules imposed by a mere human pretending to speak for such a romantic idealism as that of a god! It just stands in the way of politics, science and individual spiritualism..baptisms, funerals, Bar mitzvahs, etc. All pointless rituals brought forth with no true purpose rather then condemning several mass of individuals to rules and future rituals that serve only to fulfill the self-completion of the person behind the religion itself (either the spiritual leader or none at all!). In other words, I don't believe in wasting my time in rituals and dances that serve none of my purposes in order to serve someone else, unless I get something out of it (and adverting me that I would be going to a imaginary place like "Heaven","Valhalla","Hell",etc. isn't good enough!). I trust that religion was useful in society's most primitive forms (as a minor substitute for Science, Individual Spiritualism and Government) but for society to truly grow we must get rid of these myths and dogmatic rules of the past! And concentrate on advancing each one of the 3 areas, now independent from Religion, each in their own path (eg: Like Psychology became independent of Classic Philosophy and evolved into its own independent form). I suggest you all to read the following books in order to further understand the primitive origins, the problems and even the benefits of religious creed:

The "History of Ideologies" collection
"Mythologies" by Roland Barthes
André Richel's "Contribution to the study of Human Development" (Although it may seem pointless to religion you could use it to compare our necessities to the appearances of myths and religions)
"Eros and Religion" by Walter Schubart
"The sacred and the unholy: The essence of religions" by Mircea Eliade
Claude Lévi-Strauss' "Myth and Meaning"
Anything by Nietzsche

Attention: Some titles may have been miss-translated but the authors' names should help you find them at your local book store or library

And then, of course, with correct interpretation, you should read and gather information about as many religions and theories as you can, why not interpret the Bible viewing it's stories as metaphors? Or maybe the Coran? Or study up on ancient religions and pagan rituals in order to compare them to modern religions and practices?

Happy Reading! Very Happy

HEAR HEAR!!
At last, someone thinks like me...
Though, that was pretty racist, bias and selfish. Even I'm not that bad...

staticwolf
Cumulonimbus Cloud
Cumulonimbus Cloud

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by staticwolf Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:45 am

I request thread lock.

staticwolf
Cumulonimbus Cloud
Cumulonimbus Cloud

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Cloud Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:53 am

I will accept this lock.
I don't think this topic has breached the rules yet, however there is a chance that this topic could get out of hand.

LOCK Atheism - The Problem Lock
Admin Cloud
Admin Cloud
Admin
Admin

Female

Character sheet